The Australian privacy principles
We are bound by the Australian Privacy Principles (“APPs”) contained in the Privacy Act 1998 (“Privacy Act”). The APPs establish minimum standards for the private sector in relation to the collection, handling, use, disclosure, management, access, correction and disposal of ‘personal information’ about natural persons. In summary, ‘personal information’ is information or an opinion relating to an individual which can be used to identify that individual. This may include your name, address, telephone number, email address, profession or occupation, your preferences and other information that could directly or indirectly identify you.
How we collect personal information
We collect personal information in a number of ways, including:
- when you provide information directly to us through the Applications, in person, by phone or in writing (whether by email, through surveys, competitions, promotions or any other electronic or other means);
- when you visit and/or use the Applications, in which case we record information sent to us by your computer, mobile device or other device you are using to access the Applications;
- by contracting with us;
- when insurance is arranged for you or insurance claims are processed; and
- from third parties such as our related entities, service providers to us, operators of linked websites, applications and advertising on the Applications.
In some circumstances, personal information is provided to us by third parties or other organisations conducting activities on your behalf. With your expressed or implied consent, your personal information may be used and disclosed to us this way.
What personal information we collect and hold
We may collect and hold the following types of personal information in order to provide you with our products and services:
- your name, phone number, date of birth, gender, mobile telephone number, email address, other contact information, and/or claims history;
- any other information provided by you to us including without limitation through use of the App or services such as vehicle location (GPS), phone sensor data, phone state, time, application power and other information derived by the collected data;
- personal information from your interaction with the Applications and its content, our services and our advertising, including without limitation device identifiers, device type, geo-location information, connection information, statistics on page views, traffic to and from the App, mobile network information, time, date, referring URL, the type of operating system and browser, ad data, IP address and standard web log data; and
- any other information we consider may assist us in providing or marketing our products or services.
Automatic collection of your personal information
When you visit our Applications, our Internet Service Provider automatically records the following information about you:
- your server address;
- the website you visited immediately prior to ours;
- your domain name;
- date and time of your visit to our Applications;
- pages you accessed and the information or documents you downloaded;
- type of browser you used; and
- any other information we request our Internet Service Provider to record from time to time.
Collection, sharing and disclosure of your personal information
Our principal purpose in collecting, sharing and disclosing your personal information is to provide our products and services in a personalised, safe and efficient manner. You consent to us collecting, sharing and disclosing your personal information as described below.
We may collect, share and disclose your personal information with the UbiCar Group and other third parties who provide services to us or on our behalf or any unrelated party under the following circumstances:
- where you have provided your consent (which may be given expressly or may reasonably implied by your conduct or our existing business relationship) including to your authorised representative/s, and third parties to whom you expressly ask us to send, or consent to us sending, your personal information;
- to understand your requirements and provide you with a product or service;
- set up, administer and manage our products and services (including issuing you with a quote, arranging, verifying and administering insurance, issuing, renewing or amending a policy, pricing a policy, offering excesses and discounts and the management and administration of underwriting and claims);
- to provide your updated personal information to our related bodies corporate, contractors, employees or service providers (including information technology service providers, mailing houses, market research organisations);
- research and develop pricing algorithms and structures for insurance;
- communicate details about our products and services or marketing our services and products and those of our intermediaries and business partners that may interest you;
- provide, administer, market and manage the Applications, including but not limited to, providing you with your calculated driving scores, reporting and feedback on your driving for use in our Applications;
- manage and train our employees, agents and representatives;
- to facilitate and conduct business processing functions including providing personal information to our related bodies corporate, contractors, service providers, our underwriter or other third parties;
- where a third party has an interest in the product or service we supply, for example third party beneficiary, distributor, insurance intermediary, our underwriter, business partner, affiliate or any other insurer;
- conduct competitions, loyalty programmes or surveys;
- manage complaints and disputes and report to dispute resolution bodies and our regulators;
- our professional advisors including accountants, auditors, lawyers, contracted advisors and service providers;
- where a third party acquires or considers acquiring an interest in us;
- where it is necessary for a third party to assist us in providing our services, for example, reinsurers, insurance intermediaries, insurance reference bureaus, lawyers, accountants, loss adjustors, repairers and suppliers to repair or replace property insured, investigators and assessors to investigate and assess claims and related matters, lawyers and recovery agents to defend actions by third parties, to recover our costs (including amounts owed to us), witnesses to provide witness statements; experts to provide us with opinions, and other parties to a claim (to obtain statements from them), seek recovery or defend an action, and others involved in the providing of services or claims handling process.
- verify information for accuracy or completeness (including by way of verification with third parties);
- resolve disputes and to identify, test and resolve problems;
- notify you about the Applications and updates to the Applications from time to time;
- protect a person’s rights, property or safety;
- where we are authorised, required or permitted by law to use or disclose information; and
- to achieve an understanding or your needs, behaviours and how you interact with us so we can improve our products and services (including the Applications) via research, development and business strategy.
If you access the Applications from a shared device or a device of a third party (such as in an internet café), your personal information may also be available to other persons who access that device.
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that anyone to whom we disclose your personal information respects the confidentiality of the information and abides by the APPs or equivalent privacy laws.
Anonymity and pseudonymity
Unless it is impracticable, you have the option of interacting with us anonymously or by the use of a pseudonym. For example, you may visit and browse our websites and use some of our online facilities without revealing any personal information.
If we can’t collect your personal information
If you do not provide us with the personal information described above, some or all of the following may happen:
- we may not be able to provide the requested products or services to you, either to the same standard or at all;
- we may not be able to provide you with information about products and services that you may want; or
- we may be unable to tailor the content of our websites to your preferences and your experience of our websites may not be as enjoyable or useful.
We will only disclose the personal information we collect from you to locations outside Australia to provide information to our third party service providers. Our third party service providers perform various tasks both inside and outside of Australia, including (but not limited to) delivering underwriting and claims services and technology development.
At the date of this document our overseas providers are located across various locations, including, but not limited to:
- New Zealand;
- South Korea.
Cookies may be used to provide you with our services, including to identify you as a user of the Applications, remember your preferences, customise and measure the effectiveness of the Applications and our promotions, advertising and marketing, analyse your usage of the Applications, and for security purposes.
You also may encounter Cookies used by third parties and placed on certain pages of the Applications that we do not control and have not authorised (such as webpages created by another user). We are not responsible nor liable for the use of such Cookies.
Storage and security
We store, protect and process your personal information by taking reasonable steps. The reasonable steps we take include protecting the information from misuse or loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Where we no longer require your personal information for a permitted purpose under the APPs, we will take reasonable steps to destroy it.
Access to information
Subject to the Privacy Act, you may request to access the personal information we hold about you by emailing us at the address listed under “Contact Us” below. All requests for access will be processed within a reasonable time.
In certain instances we may not be required or able to provide you with access to your personal information. If this occurs we will give you reasons for our decision not to provide you with such access to your personal information in accordance with the Privacy Act.
There is no application fee for making a request to access your personal information. However, we may charge an administrative fee for the provision of information in certain circumstances such as if you make repeated requests for information or where the information is held by a third party provider.
We endeavour to ensure that the personal information we hold is accurate, complete and up-to-date. If you believe the personal information we hold is inaccurate, please let us know and generally we will amend it upon request. If we disagree with your request, we will only do so on reasonable grounds and we will let you know the reasons for the refusal.
Notifiable data breaches
In the event that there is a data breach we will take all reasonable steps to contain the suspected or known breach where possible. We will take immediate steps to limit any further access or distribution where possible.
If we have reasonable grounds to suspect that the data breach is likely to result in serious harm to any individuals involved, then we will take all reasonable steps to ensure an assessment is completed within 30 days of the breach.
If remedial action is successful in making serious harm no longer likely, then no notification or statement will be made.
Where we are aware of reasonable grounds to believe serious harm is likely, as soon as practicable, we will provide a statement to each of the individuals whose data was breached or who are at risk. The statement will contain details of the breach and recommendations of the steps each individual should take. We will also provide a copy of the statement to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
We will review the incident and take action to prevent future breaches.
Direct marketing materials
We may send you direct marketing communications and information about our products and services that we consider may be of interest to you. These communications may be sent in various forms, including mail, SMS, fax and email, in accordance with applicable marketing laws, such as the Spam Act 2003 (Cth). If you indicate a preference for a method of communication, we will endeavour to use that method whenever practical to do so. In addition, at any time you may opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us by contacting us (see the details below) or by using opt-out facilities provided in the marketing communications and we will then ensure that your name is removed from our mailing list.
Targeted ads or interest-based offers may be presented to you based on your activities on the Applications, our webpages, and other websites, based on the services you receive. These offers will display as varying product banners presented to you while browsing. We also partner with third parties to manage our advertising on our webpages and other websites. Our third party partners may use technologies such as cookies to gather information about such activities in order to provide you with advertising based upon your browsing activities and interests, and to measure advertising effectiveness. Some third party providers use tracking technology other than cookies to deliver targeted advertisements to you.
Our website may contain links to other websites operated by third parties. We make no representations or warranties in relation to the privacy practices of any third party website and we are not responsible for the privacy policies or the content of any third party website. Third party websites are responsible for informing you about their own privacy practices.
We welcome your questions and comments about privacy and if you have any query or require any information about your personal information, please contact email@example.com and we will respond to you as soon as reasonably possible.
If you have any concerns or wish to make a complaint about how we have treated your personal information, or whether we have complied with the Privacy Act, please contact us and we will respond within 7 days.
If you complain to us and feel that your complaint has not been satisfactorily resolved you can contact:
The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner: